Monday, October 20, 2008

Breakthrough

I have to say that as I write this post tears are brought to my eyes thinking of this story. The sweet and innocent display of affection was so surprising and so beautiful that it makes my heart swell and a smile comes to my face.
This morning as I was talking to one of my paraprofessionals about nothing important DE, who has autism and therefore struggles to make strong connections to people in his life, suddenly came up and gave me a big hug. Now, I received hugs through out the day from many of my friends here in the ILC, in fact sometimes we have to set up boundries because we all know that adults don't hug this much and we have to explain that we need to keep boundries. But when something this suprising and this huge happens there is no rule for how to respond. There is nothing to do but stand there in awe and smile to yourself, knowing that have made a connection to a student that is incomparable to any other.

No comments: